Dr. Ernest Kornmehl is an experienced ophthalmologist, providing comprehensive treatment for a number of refractive errors including dry eye. As a talented Boston vision correction specialist, he also performs CK Surgery and custom Wavefront LASIK at his Boston area offices.
Dry Eye Treatment Center
Dry eye can be caused by a number of factors. On the page below, Dr. Ernest Kornmehl explains the various causes of dry eye and symptoms of dry eye. It is important to be properly evaluated for dry eye if you are considering laser eye surgery so that the refractive surgery can be properly tailored to your condition.
Dry Eye can result from decreased tear production, an unstable tear film, and rapid evaporation of tears.
Causes of Dry Eye:
- Contact lenses
- Age: As we mature, glands in the eyelids produce less oil. Oil keeps tears from evaporating off the eye. Decreased oil production allows tears to evaporate too quickly, leaving the eye dry.
- Systemic diseases including Diabetes, Arthritis, Sjogren's, and Collagen Vascular Diseases
- Hormonal changes, especially after menopause
- Prescription medications as well as over the counter medications: these include some high blood pressure medications, antihistamines, diuretics, antidepressants, anti-anxiety medications, sedatives and pain medications.
The following can exacerbate Dry Eye:
- Hot, dry, or windy conditions: High altitude, heat and air conditioning
- Eye irritants such as cigarette smoke, chemical fumes
- Reading, computer work, or watching TV
- Some types of eye surgery can also exacerbate dry eye
Symptoms of Dry Eye
- Foreign body sensation: the feeling there is sand in your eye
- Blurring of vision after periods of reading, computer work, or watching TV
- Eyes that itch, burn, or ache
- Reflex tearing; excessive tearing
- Red, irritated eyes
- Mucus discharge
A comprehensive evaluation with Dr. Kornmehl will determine if you are in need of Dry Eye treatment in Boston. He will customize your treatment according to your specific condition.